...that's what my little girl is made of!
Today was a big day. First of all, Lorelei took yet another long morning nap -- I think she's finally starting to get into that pattern, which I thought would never happen since she's been napping for 45 minutes at a time since about week 8. Then, once she woke up, we went to Crunchy Moms!
Crunchy Moms of DeKalb is a mom/baby group that meets on Monday mornings. It's composed of all kinds of people, but tends to be frequented by moms who breastfeed, cloth diaper, and are generally on the all-natural, "granola" side of the road. I've been wanting to go, but Lorelei can only handle being awake for about an hour at a time, which makes leaving the house to do anything rather challenging. But I went to a "moms only" event last Friday and the people seemed so nice that I decided to give it a go.
It went great! We met at the children's section in Barnes and Noble -- there were kids everywhere! I saw a few of the moms I had already met and said hello, and then I noticed two moms with little babies sitting right in the middle at a table. It turns out that one of them had a 3 1/2 month baby and the other one was 4 1/2 months, so Lorelei fit right in the middle (she was the biggest of them all, of course). And right away I noticed...those babies were TIRED! They were fussing, crying, whining, sucking on their fists, and yawning away. Lorelei, on the other hand, was very perky and alert, looking at everything and taking it all in and not saying a peep!
We stayed for about half an hour. Once I saw Lorelei yawn, I said goodbye, stopped by the coffeeshop to get a pumpkin spice latte (my fall obsession), and we headed for home. Once we got back, she went down without a fuss.
The moral of this story? Even though it's a pain in the butt and I have to work really hard to get it to work, I am really glad that I've been making sure Lorelei is a well-rested baby. She's so much more fun to be around, but even more so, it seems like it makes her able to learn and grow and enjoy her world.

Yay! I knew there had to be at least one more reason to add to my list of reasons I'm enamored of your little darling!
ReplyDeleteAlso... you just about put the nail in the coffin of my resolve to not let myself get a pumpkin spice latte this afternoon. I've passed the sign one too many times this week to stop myself now. (did I mention you're definitely not alone in your obsession?)