new to the blog?

Welcome! We've changed the accessibility to the blog so you should be able to browse through all our posts without entering a password -- at least for now -- to make it easier for our new readers. Hope you enjoy getting to know Lorelei a bit more through these posts!

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

in the words of a one-year old.

How old am I? I am one -- and if you ask me, I'll show you with my fingers!



I have grown so much in the past year. At my doctor's appointment today, I was 30" tall (75th percentile!), weighed about 21 and a half pounds (around the 60th percentile), and still have a tiny head (10th percentile), though you wouldn't know it because I still have my round cheeks.



I can do so many things! I can walk while holding onto Mama and Daddy's hands, play peekaboo where I'm the one hiding instead of you, play my xylophone and pound on my work bench with my hammer, point to objects in my books and then find them "in the real world" even without help or prompting, and dance to my favorite songs (aka anything played by the teapot).


I know lots of animal sounds and can make them for you: lion, owl, dog, cow, elephant, and a car (which isn't an animal but sounds cool anyway). I could watch out our front window for hours, pointing out all of the animals and objects and people we see outside. I also like to show you my fingers, toes, ears, and mouth, though when you ask me to point to my nose I will usually point to yours!



I love reading, especially Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes (there are so many babies to point at in that book!). Story time with Daddy right before bed is still one of my favorite times of day.



I hate hate hate taking naps but I am getting much better at sleeping for a predictable amount of time. Mama is also helping me to sleep better at night -- I usually only wake up once now, and if I wake up more times I can put myself back to sleep most of the time.



I am getting to be a much more picky eater than I used to be. I adore avocado and would eat it at every meal if Mama and Daddy let me, but I'm boycotting peas and carrots and squash even though I used to love them. Sandwiches are hard for me because I still only have two teeth on the bottom. I still don't like to drink anything from a cup, but if Mama makes me a smoothie I will have most of that. I like baba ghanouj (the owner of the local middle eastern restaurant gave me some as a birthday present!) and pickles a LOT and it is a special treat when I get to have them. Of all of the birthday cakes I've tried so far, the angel food cake with orange icing was by far my favorite. But my favorite food of all? Whatever Mama and Daddy are eating!



I am still as friendly as can be and so curious about the world around me. Sometimes, especially if I'm tired, I get a little bit nervous if a grown-up man I don't know so well is too interested in me (like the doctor today with his funny stethoscope!) and Mama isn't right there with me to protect me. But once I get to know you, we'll be best friends! And I love other children and babies and wave and wave at them when we are together (or when I see them in a book, or magazine, or in the mirror at the end of the hall).



When I'm happy, I have a great giggle and I like to wave my hands back and forth with excitement. I also have a certain impish look I give to Mama when I know I'm doing something I shouldn't...but mostly I'm a very good girl.


Whee! Look at me -- I'm such a big girl now!

(pictures from various gift openings in the days before her birthday and birthday celebrations 5/23, 5/24, 5/27, 5/28 -- thanks to everyone for all the love!)

1 comment: